This blog has been created to share the College of Staten Island (CSI) students’ experiences around the world. Dolphins across the Seven Seas provides the opportunity for CSI students, staff, faculty and beyond to gain insight into the study abroad experience. Additionally, Study Abroad Peer Advisors provide reflections upon their experiences as well as advice to potential study abroad participants. CSI is the single senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), located in the borough of Staten Island.

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Summer Study in Heidelberg, Germany!




x
My study abroad experience has truly been the experience of a lifetime. Spending 66 days in Heidelberg, a little town nestled along the Neckar River has truly been wonderful. To be honest, first flying out to study and getting settled in, was tough. I was anxious for what was to come, but with every day I grew to love this place. The German culture I felt was not to far off from back home. The obvious difference is the language, but there is something about the life style that brought me to not want to go. Germans are not outright friendly with everyone, but when they get to know you, they are some of the best people to be around. On my second to last day, I went to all the shops I frequented and was met with smiles and well wishes on my travel home. The staff at the European Study Center were all wonderful and extremely helpful, I am glad to say that some I now can call a friend. The friends I have made studying abroad are friends that will last a lifetime. We traveled, ate, and partied together and saying good-bye is always tough, but we know we shall meet again real soon. I traveled to Nuremberg, Munich, Schwangau, Prague, Budapest, Paris, and I even stayed at a castle for the night. Those were just independent travels, with my program we traveled to; Strasbourg, Worms, went to see both Audi, and Mercedes. My friends and I all tried to experience as much of Heidelberg as we possibly could, we; partied with the German populous, had a picnic on the Neckar, walked through Aldstadt (Old Town), and did every little thing possible we could and fell in love with this place. Of everywhere I traveled, traveling within Germany was my favorite.


The German people are kind, and the landscape of the country is beautiful. I think about now leaving, as I will in two days and I can’t help but feel sad in leaving this little town. There is a song called “I Lost My Heart in Heidelberg”, for many of us it is true. This town, the people have all become home to me. When I go it will be sad, but one must always look to the future, and I know that one day I will come back here and see Heidelberg again.



I think about me on the first day I arrived, I didn’t know anybody and thought maybe I did make a mistake coming to study abroad. Now I look back, and laugh because this was the greatest opportunity I had, and I am sure glad I took it. The memories, the friends, and Heidelberg shall stay with me forever. Studying Abroad is an opportunity to not only experience new cultures, and visit new places. It too allows you to find yourself and enriches your mindset on the world, where you live is not the center and there are many things to see, and people to meet. All you have to do is take the leap, and for me studying abroad gave me that and so much more.











Connor Lewis
CCIS Heidelberg, Germany Summer Program
European Study Center














3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post on your blog, it really gives me an insight on this topic.
    Study abroad guides for Belguim students

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you’re studying 20 hours a week or more, you’re considered a full-time student and are therefore eligible to live in university or private halls.

    Student luxury accommodation close to Keele University

    ReplyDelete